Monday, February 21, 2011

Love Always, Chessie : The Short Story Collection

Shortly after creating Puppy Love and being accepted into Examiner as Chicago Dog Breeds Examiner in December 2010, I found inspiration to write a short story collection about dogs.

My collection is titled Love Always, Chessie - the same title as my domain for Puppy Love and a name I will never escape.

"Love Always, Chessie" reflects ten dog breeds.  Each breed has a chapter on historical background and a short story chapter reflecting individual personality.  The stories are fiction in nature and truly highlight the best in each dog.

My collection is written for parents with young children, where families can learn and enjoy at the same time.

I am now in the agenting process, so there is not much I can give away here in terms of description.  I will say that I am incredibly nervous.  My first query came back to me with the agent wanting to know more.  I think she is interested, but "I think" is not "I know" and her interest is not a guaranteed yes for representation.  My passion for writing and for dogs of all breeds is clear in this collection.  I hope with all of me that this passion will show in the eyes of agents.

I am just nervous.  My heart would stop if I saw my name in print. . .strolling through Barnes & Noble, glancing at titles, to catch my name on a book cover.  I am published online - Examiner, Puppy Love, my music blog and general interests blog, and Helium.  Yet being a freelance writer online is relatively easy - find a source, create an account, and write.  Of course, difficulty lies in generating an income worth noticing.  To be a published author with a name that is out there is far from easy.  To be unpublished and fighting to get a foot in the publishing door is honestly rather traumatic.  A hopeful author has to be confident and convincing.  A hopeful author has to be unique and worthwhile.  A hopeful author has to live in reality and imagine at the same time.

"Love Always, Chessie" is unique and I am confident in my words.  I am unpublished, however.  To be convincing is to ask. . .To be convincing is to ask for the Moon without hesitation.  I believe that my work is worthwhile, but the same can be said of the dozens if not hundreds of other queries in an agent's inbox.  This is my reality.

I do like to imagine, though.  My collection gets a yes.  I am a surprise in publishing.  I reach bestseller status.  I like to dream from time to time.

I am just nervous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment