Saturday, June 28, 2014

My Favorite Breed - St. Bernard

 
 
 
 
 
 
ST. BERNARD
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The story of my love for the St. Bernard breed begins at the Kauai, Hawaii Humane Society many years ago.
 
I was visiting my family on the island during my summer break from high school.  My cousin was in preschool, so my aunt and uncle had quite a lot on their hands at the time.  My aunt asked if I wanted to volunteer at the Humane Society during preschool hours and I replied with a most happy yes.
 
My first day was spent with the cats and kittens.  I thoroughly cleaned the kitty kennels and, with the door shut, let out one cat at a time.  Paws stretched.  A "shake it off" moment.  Holding each individual little one in my arms.  Some didn't want me to let go.  Some let me know through their loving eyes that they will be fine back in their kitty kennel.  Some wanted to be goofy and run around.  As I had to continue my chores, getting these little ones back in their kennels was quite the task!
 
My second day was spent working with the older dogs.  I believe they preferred barking me into deafness than having their kennels cleaned because they were so excited!
 
My third day...
 
My third day was spent working with the puppies.  My task with the puppies was to play with them in the front yard space.  I spent most of my time with a new litter of Golden Retrievers.  However, there was one precious pup that caught my attention - a St. Bernard. 
 
The phrase "bundle of fur" could easily have been coined by any St. Bernard dog.  This sweetheart was alone in its kennel, so I planned my time to play with him (or her...I cannot remember now).  A sea of fur and a baby bark would come racing toward me, so excited and happy.
 
I will never forget that day...Puppy galore! 
 
I will never forget that day for my one chance to love and adore the most adorable bundle of fur a dog could possibly be.


No comments:

Post a Comment