Friday, March 11, 2011

Headline Edition

- Puppy Love Headline Edition -

I am nearly positive that by now - 10:00a.m. CST (U.S.) - the entire globe has woken to the news. . .Japan suffered historic devastation through an 8.9 magnitude earthquake and 23-foot (possibly greater) tsunami.  This natural disaster is beyond record books at the worst in Japanese history and the fifth worst in world history - world history.  The strength of the earthquake is such that a literal ripple affect is traveling right now through the entire Pacific Ocean.  Hawaii, the entire United States West Coast, and 19 other countries are on high alert for waves.  Kauai, Hawaii was the first U.S. land to be hit.  Devastation is unknown at this time, as is the all clear.  All other Hawaiian islands have already been hit, again with unknown devastation.  California is due next. . .actually California is due now.  Northern California and bays off of the upper West Coast are due to expect the worst of any incoming waves.

I have family in Kauai.  My aunt, uncle, cousin, and close family friends luckily live well inland on the island.

I have family in Southern California.  My grandmother and godfather luckily live a couple miles inland and upwards in elevation.

I have extended family off of Seattle, Washington.  Their status is unknown.

As I pray for their well-being, I think of the many pets and shelter animals equally as affected by the horrors of nature's wrath. 

My grandmother can easily bring her newly adopted dog inside her home from her backyard.  The same can be said for my godfather's pet dog.  My aunt, uncle, and cousin own a cat and a dog.  These pets cannot be brought inside as, obviously stated, they must go with their family to higher ground.  I wonder as I write this blog post what runs through an animal's mind when fear is running through their owner's mind.  The animal(s) does not understand.  When in fear, a domestic animal anyway is naturally inclined to hide and be secluded away from the source of fear and danger.  So does the owner stay out of unconditional love and protective instinct for their pet or do they leave for their own safety?

The Kauai Humane Society is located in what would be considered a basin.  When I volunteered some years ago, my aunt and I drove down into a valley surrounded by mountains.  The Kauai Humane Society, then, is naturally protected from any large wave or tsunami (I imagine within reason).  The animals, too, are protected because of the natural positioning of their location.  Yet, staff and volunteers at KHS have to abide seriously by the warning as real and warning as a test.  So the animals are left alone.  The warning that sounded at 10:00pm their time was very real.  What happens to the animals?  Is there a protective measure set in place for these occasions?

I am helpless when my cat is in fear.  When she is scared, she hides under my mother's bed.  I cannot reach her.  I cannot calm her down.  I cannot help her.  Imagine trying to calm down a building full of scared cats and dogs.  And KHS is constructed into multiple buildings - one for kittens and cats and one for puppies and dogs.

This planet has seen too much devastation in a very short period of time.  I would never guess that I would post a headline edition of such magnitude ever.  Things must change.  We must change.  Our beloved animals - as pets, as shelter animals, and as wild animals - have done nothing to live in the crumbling world we are creating.  All animals need us.  We need our Earth.   

No comments:

Post a Comment