Thursday, May 12, 2011

Casey at bat

I will forever mark the dates May 4, 2011 and May 5, 2011 as the most memorable in my lifetime (well, two of the most memorable).  On these two days, my boy Casey came to bat.

As has been stated in the post, Rat Terrier Breed Info, Rat Terriers are a bundle of energy.  This breed tends toward the small to lower medium size.  Casey weighed in on the standard or lower medium end.  His thin size matched his large energy.  His very young age (9 months) drove him even further.

I have never owned a dog - baby, young, or adult.  I created Puppy Love to imagine the feeling of puppy love, through research and adoption advocacy especially.  I have gained so much knowledge through posts on Puppy Love and yet what I have come to learn did not in any way prepare me for Casey.

My experience with Casey can best be described in the following way : A brand new edition to a baseball team is up to the plate and must hit a grand slam to win the game. . .and the World Series.  No pressure, right?  Well, I was that new edition and Casey was the game I had to figure out how to win.

Casey ran a million miles per hour before I took my first step.  He was ready to play before I knew the time of day.  We were out the door faster than I could put my shoes on.  He didn't care.  Casey had four indoor accidents despite the hours logged in the park across from my home.  Casey went after my cat the way a Rat Terrier stalks its vermon prey.  He didn't care.

My boy Casey was a poor fit given to me by the animal shelter who did not give a second look in the adoption process.  They knew in full that I was brand new in looking for a dog and so had zero experience.  Their only advice was to call the behavioral center if ever I had a question or concern.  I did in fact call the behavioral center and no one returned my call.  I was up to the plate against the best pitcher in the league.  I wanted to keep Casey for time to come, but his puppy and breed energy kept me from hitting that grand slam.

I have learned an invaluable lesson through my first dog adoption, albeit temporary.  A first time adopter should never consider a puppy.  If a first time adopter considers a puppy, know the breed well and know the dog well too.  Furthermore, if a first time adopter chooses a puppy to bring home, that home must be a house with a decent back or front yard.  More so, if a first time adopter brings home a puppy, have time and energy.  A puppy will eat up most of an owner's day.  In the time that I had Casey, I realized the months that would go by before I could return to my work in card design and Serene's Fantastic Escape manuscript revision.  The longer I would have been away from my projects, the longer my wait time would be to present queries to agents and possible publishing and to present cards to local businesses for sale and possible official business development.

I will continue to look for a dog, older of course and of a much calmer breed. 

I wish all the best to Casey in his quest for a forever home.

No comments:

Post a Comment